Have some questions about volunteering?
Check out our frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Volunteer Questions
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
Our volunteers must be 16 years or older. All volunteers under the age of 18 must have a parent/legal guardian fill out a minor waiver form.
I can't commit to volunteering, but would still like to help. Is there anything I can do?
Yes! There is so much you can do!
How can I complete Community Service hours with KHS?
If you are looking for Community Service hours you should contact the Volunteer Coordinator directly at 269-743-0382 or email@example.com.
What are the expectations and responsibilities of being a KHS volunteer?
Expectations and responsibilities for volunteering at the Kalamazoo Humane Society include, but are not limited to:
Make at least a one year commitment to the KHS volunteer program.
- Make an effort to volunteer when an event or program is short staffed, or another volunteer is unable to make their scheduled shift.
- Be on time for your volunteer duty or shift.
- If you agree to participate in an activity or event, you are expected to adhere to that commitment.
- Communicate any issues or concerns which are likely to affect your volunteer duties.
- Ask questions about programs and activities when you need clarification.
- Notify the Volunteer Coordinator as early as possible if you’re unable to make your scheduled shift.
- Should you decide to not volunteer with KHS any longer (or if you’re taking a “break), you are expected to contact the Volunteer Coordinator about your departure and are encouraged to share your reason.
- Be respectful to staff, the public, other volunteers, and the animals.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times while volunteering.
- Support the mission and goals of the Kalamazoo Humane Society at all times while volunteering.
- Using or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol is strictly prohibited while volunteering for KHS.
- Verbal or physical abuse to volunteers, animals, clients or staff will not be tolerated.
- Attend the mandatory orientation and training sessions for KHS and KCASE.
- Perform my tasks under the guidelines established in the job description for that job.
- Support and adhere to the policies and procedures of Kalamazoo Humane Society as outlined in the Volunteer Manual.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding the animals and clients.
- Wear a Kalamazoo Humane Society volunteer t-shirt at all times while volunteering at the shelter or fundraising events.
- Understand that you are providing services in a volunteer capacity without any expressed or implied promise of salary or employment benefits.
Your volunteer involvement may be dismissed if you do not meet the expectations in an appropriate manner, or otherwise fail to adhere to policies and procedures.
What if I just want to volunteer for the Dog Walk?
Fill out the Dog Walk volunteer application at www.khsdogwalk.org/volunteer